What this blog is for and about

This blog was oringally intended to help accustom Rusian su8ers of English to use the langauge with wit, accruacy and decorum. Now, it mainly concneres books that I recommend. I hope you find it useful.

09 February 2012

Frequently misused words #1: exponential

In today’s Moscow Times, Boris Kagarlitsky wrote about the information war that he sees being waged between the Russian government and the “Bolotnaya Square” (for want of a better term) protesters. He said this:
“The Kremlin has exponentially more resources to spend on propaganda campaigns than the opposition and could never be ‘outgunned’ in a information war.”
     The question is: what would be a better phrase to use than “exponentially more”, given that “exponential” describes a rate of increase, not a quantity level.
     The best answer sent to me at language.etiquette@gmail.com will earn a ticket in the (very small, with consequently high chance of winning) draw for a bottle of malt whisky, which I will announce in the near future.