What this blog is for and about

This blog was oringally intended to help accustom Rusian su8ers of English to use the langauge with wit, accruacy and decorum. Now, it mainly concneres books that I recommend. I hope you find it useful.

13 January 2014

The Financial Times needs me (or some competent proof-reader)



What is going on? Is this Dave’s bank or has Dave devised a slogan for use as the name of a bank he has started (quite a good idea, I think)? I honestly do not know. Yet this is one of the headlines on the home page of today’s edition of the Financial Times. It is not some sleep-inducing story about economic theory in the back of the paper, or a piece of life-style flannel designed solely to bring in advertising without being read by anyone able to tell the difference between a name and a command. It is in the shop window of an important international word vendor. So the words should have been carefully checked. Clearly they weren’t.
     It is a sad reflection of modern times that so prestigious a paper as the Financial Times makes so many mistakes (see previous posts passim, including 5 January 2014). There is nothing which lets a publication, be it newspaper or company report or business proposal, down so much as illiteracy, comically inept phrasing or serious “typos” like the one pictured. Yet I am available to help at the mere click of an email Send button! 


No comments:

Post a Comment