What this blog is for and about

This blog was oringally intended to help accustom Rusian su8ers of English to use the langauge with wit, accruacy and decorum. Now, it mainly concneres books that I recommend. I hope you find it useful.

23 March 2020

Coronavirus and language

I saw this entry from an old and well-meaning friend on Farcebank today. However, I wonder about the language. I am not sure what "stand by" means in this context. It is the usual cliche; that I accept. However, taken literally, it is surely the exact OPPOSITE of what we should be doing, given the requirement for social distancing. Or is language no longer a useful tool for communication? 

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Gethin Jones @GethinJones123 We stand by Italy during these trying times. Share your Support for our Italian friends, They are our colleagues, friends and family. Cari amici, siamo con voi. #COVID19 #WeStandWithltaly Thank you, our friend!'

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Gethin Jones @GethinJones123 We stand by Italy during these trying times. Share your Support for our Italian friends, They are our colleagues, friends and family. Cari amici, siamo con voi. #COVID19 #WeStandWithltaly Thank you, our friend!'


No comments:

Post a Comment