What this blog is for and about

This blog was oringally intended to help accustom Rusian su8ers of English to use the langauge with wit, accruacy and decorum. Now, it mainly concneres books that I recommend. I hope you find it useful.

05 November 2014

Language question for readers - answers please!

Can any of the many readers of this blog supply us all (comments for publication) with a clear definition between the two modal verbs: "lock up" and "lock down"?

It is clearly not the same as the difference between "shut up" and "shut down"; much less "cut up" and "cut down", or even "sit up" and "sit down", which is obvious. So what is it?

I look forward to publishing the answers, and being enlightened at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. Without checking the dictionary, I'd say that to "lock up" means to encarcerate somebody, while to "lock down" means to block all access to and (especially) from a location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the previous comment. Lock up - to close some space liked house; lock down - to close large area (quarantine like)

    ReplyDelete