What this blog is for and about

This blog was oringally intended to help accustom Rusian su8ers of English to use the langauge with wit, accruacy and decorum. Now, it mainly concneres books that I recommend. I hope you find it useful.

19 October 2014

Dylan Thomas, Richard Burton and the surpises of which the English language is capable

I still do not understand why my good Welsh friend Gentleman Gethin Gunworthy does not like Dylan Thomas, but I think this programme below is absolutely wonderful. The other night I was discussing with some Russian friends the sound of English. I think this is an extraordinary example of it, which I recommend to anyone interested in the Celtic contribution to the language of the Saxons - the two strands alongside each other being part of what has made English so varied, flexible, surprising and so often, to me, poetic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0076htk

No comments:

Post a Comment